Thursday, January 30, 2014

Creating a half doily rug...

When I first said... "I want to try out crocheting a half doily rug" ... I was told that this is not the easiest thing... there's going to be a few challenges... but I thought, hey... if I could find a pattern then what could be so difficult... I will just follow the pattern very closely!... 

So eventually I found Mona's pattern from "Love2Bloom" and happily I started crocheting exactly what was said in her pattern tutorial...  
I had a day off from work and my mum came to visit - we had a wonderful 'holiday' day next to the pool... she reading and I working on my half doily rug ...


A few rows into the pattern I realized that Mona used clothesline and I was trying out the same pattern with T shirt yarn and a 12mm hook... so I had to increase more than in her pattern... 
I also found that the straight edge at the bottom turns out not to be so straight after a few rows - thus I improvised a few straight rows at the bottom with single crochet and half treble crochet to try and make the edge more neat.  I ended the bottom edge with crab stitch which I think makes a lovely trimming.
Another challenge was that the rug turned out being a little to small for what I wanted to use it for and I added a few extra rows.

Eventually I was very satisfied with the end product and the fact that I did it all in one day - well actually this is not 100% true - I couldn't wait to start the rug - so I put in an hour or two the previous night :)  But if you have one day to dedicate to this rug - it will definitely be possible to finish.


I just read Mona's newest blog entry about her self taught Mindful stitch.  She says that this stitch creates a tight fabric ideal for cross stitching or embroidery - both of which I would love to try out!  
So here I go.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment